Wednesday, January 20, 2010

In a vain attempt to remain interested in Dr. Hanne's lectures

I have said that History of civilization is one of my most favorite classes this semester, and that is still true. But I just want to toss out there that, though I love the class, that doesn't mean that I agree with all the ideas presented in the lectures. But I do understand that in order to understand the actions of many people in this world, we must understand their religious beliefs and in most cases learn to fully embrace their choice of religion. I am all for making your own decision, as I know that with out the freedom to choose, we would be nowhere. Which leads me for a side note that I promised- I am grateful that I have been given the ability to choose. Be it the choice of religion, speech, to give life, it is something that I have the ability to decide 100% on my own- now that's done with back to the point. :)

To learn history, we, of course, had to begin with the debate on evolution versus creationism. I know, oh! run away don't talk about it! avoid at all costs! religious talk! But hey, you chose to be here so suck it up.

The basic debate is not whether or not evolution happened, or is happening, I can obviously see the reality in that. But the question on people's minds is, should it be taught in schools? I believe that if we can teach other old scientific theories and laws that have been dis proven, then we sure as hell can teach BOTH very live theories such as creationism and evolutionism. Obviously we have all learned about evolution in our Biology classes, or perhaps not, but the trend is leaning more towards knowledge of evolution, and the shunning of religious beliefs on the topic. I am not too shaken up on this fact, though I more likely should be, I am not going to be the type of Christian who sticks their head in the sand and chooses not to know about such things because it may up-heave my beliefs. But rather, I will learn all that I can about it in the hopes of finding an explanation that I can live with.

There is plenty of evidence we have seen of how animals have evolved from water dwellers into earth walkers, and fliers. In fact there is evidence of modern evolution, occurring right now in human bodies. bacteria, they constantly are adapting to avoid the attacks of anti-biotics. We have evidence of their evolution to become resistant to drugs, from their point of view, to avoid death. lol But there is no definitive evidence to show directly where humans are on this chain. Sure you can say that the human species came from monkeys, or you can say they were dropped on earth by the divine hand of God, if you're that eccentric you could even say the spaghetti monster ate a couple of cows and some small dogs, chewed it up, and spit out a man. In fact, looking at the Biological definition of evolution (the concept that all organisms are related to one another by common ancestry), and looking at the fact that the gene system (DNA) in every living organism on the planet, and noting that all organisms share the same DNA (but not the same combinations of said DNA), we cannot deny that evolution, in the definition of the term is a reality.

In the new age, we are mostly at a stage of wondering "where are humans along the evolutionary spectrum, and how do the religious beliefs of our ancestors play a role in it?" rather than "evolution or creationism; which is true?".

Speaking from a Judeo-Christian Point of view, one could say many things varying from a literal interpretation of the scripture text, to the days of creation were large spans of time on earth, to intelligent design. Though each belief system has it's merits, there are many faults. we are reliant upon a few passages from thousands of years ago, passed down by word of mouth for most of their existence. Anyone who has played a game of telephone knows that once more than two people have heard the story it can change from Jonah's ship was capsized by the breaching of a whale, to Jonah was swallowed alive and spit back out on the shore.

That is not to say that evolution is without its own flaws; the largest being a lack of enough empirical evidence to support the theory past a "high likelihood". Staunch believers of this theory sit in wait for more evidence to tap them on the shoulders, hoping they haven't just spent their lives to die without finding definitive evidence.

The main critique of creationism is that it is faith based or tradition based more compared to the hyper-logical ways of the Scientific Method; but we forget that evolutionism is entirely based on Darwinism and the major followers of Darwin. Does this not make evolutionism a modern day Christianity? Which is based on the Lord, His Son, and the major followers (the apostles)? Just because Darwin is 1800 years newer, shinier, and labeled a scientist, does that mean he is any more correct?

They say that when you are guessing the answers to a question, go with your gut, it's usually correct, and over analyzing the question only leads you to second guess your choice and change it to one that you may find more logical but in the end is wrong?

Once again I would like to reiterate my gratitude at having the choice to pick my beliefs :)

No comments:

Post a Comment